Saturday, October 5, 2013

Apples, apples everywhere!!

Last week I was invited to go to Door Creek Apple Orchard with a couple of my friends.  The orchard had blue ribbons tied to the trees that we were allowed to pick and there were several varieties of apples. I think I mainly picked Gala and Courtland apples.  Corbin picked up a bunch from the ground and I picked some from the trees.  Altogether I got just over 12 pounds of apples for 99 cents per pound.  Pretty amazing deal!  The courtland apples were HUGE, larger than grapefruit size.  When you cut into them they were a bright white and very juicy.  I was impressed with pretty much every aspect of my first apple orchard experience.











After we picked the apples we made a few quarts of smooth applesauce and a few pints of chunky applesauce.  We also canned some of the yummy courtland apples for apple pies, crisp and other fillings.  I was so happy to learn to do all of this with my two friends Charlotte and Luisa Maria.  Charlotte taught us how to steam can the apple slices.  It was a lot of fun and very nice to come home with some tasty treats too:)  Next week I get to meet with another friend who will show me how to can grapes and grape juice.  Can't wait!! 

No comments: