Thursday, July 15, 2010

Time for an update!

It is time for a much needed blog update. It’s been a crazy past year here in the Rossman Residence! First and foremost, I am now a full time mommy! I resigned from the Police Department after working the streets almost 5 years. It’s wonderful to be at home with Hayden everyday and to be home when Casey gets home from work. We now function as a true family! No more working all hours of the night and dealing with the local criminals. I love being a mom and teaching Hayden new things. I no longer work on Sundays, so we can go to church every week. It was tough at first since I have pretty much worked every day for the past 10 years at one job or even two jobs at once. But after a few weeks there is no other place I would rather be.

Last Thanksgiving Casey’s family came to Reno to visit. It was nice to have them all here. Choss was nice enough to finish painting and edging the very top of our 22 foot ceilings. Kind of funny that it wasn’t until this past weekend when Casey and I finally finished all the painting. It may take us a while, but we get the job done!

Last month Casey’s family came to town for the Swartz family reunion which was held on June 19th in Minden at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Howie, Michelle, Cary and Caysha all came up for the event. We had such a great time visiting with cousins and relatives that we have not seen in a few years. However we had a sad ending for such a great day. Casey’s younger brother Cary passed away that evening.

Cary had suffered from asthma his entire life and was just hospitalized the month before for a sever asthma attack. The day of the reunion Cary had played basketball, volleyball and jumped in the jump house with all his cousins. He had such a great time that whole day. Later that evening he started feeling an asthma attack come on so he took his nebulizer treatments which didn’t seem to help. Grandma had an oxygen machine so Cary was using oxygen plus his treatment. It also didn’t help and he told us we needed to go to the hospital because this was the worst it had ever been. We got Cary in the car at 11:15pm. Casey, Caysha, Hayden and I followed in our car. We hit every red light going through the valley and Michelle managed to catch every green light. We caught up with them in the middle of Carson City and NHP was behind Michelle’s car in the median of the road, and that was at about 11:23pm.

Me and Casey got out of the car and looked at Cary who was already blue and had not been breathing for 3-4 minutes. We pulled him out of the car because the bag that NHP was using wasn’t getting any air into Cary’s lungs. I started CPR on him while NHP called for an ambulance. However, all the air I gave him just bypassed his lungs and went straight into his stomach because he was already swollen shut. The ambulance got there and loaded Cary in and worked on him the entire way. The doctor at the hospital came into the room we were in and told us he didn’t make it just shortly before midnight. It all happened so fast.

It was really hard for all of us that night. It’s still hard to even believe that he’s gone. His funeral was on June 26th in Cedar City. It was a beautiful service, the diversity of the group was amazing, just goes to show you how he was a friend to all and everyone he met loved him so much. He was such a light to all those who knew him, such a sweet forgiving and loving man. He is greatly missed.

Here’s a cute story. When we were at the viewing, I brought Hayden in to the Relief Society room where Cary was laying in his casket. Hayden pointed to Cary as if to say, “Why isn’t he getting up to play with me?” Then he looked behind him and pointed to a picture of Jesus. I asked Hayden if Cary was with Jesus right now and Hayden nodded his head to say yes. It was a very touching moment. Hayden knows Cary is in a good place and with our Father in Heaven.

Casey and I took 1-80 route home instead of Hwy 50 and were able to stop and visit with my aunt Gayla and cousin Angela. We also went to Temple square and got to see one of Casey's old mission companions in Tooele. I love the I-80 route so much more than the other drive!

Hayden also turned two on June 20th! Sadly I don't have any pictures cause we were all drained that week and had no energy to do much of anything. But I do have pictures of other events that I will be posting after this post.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

Sweet story about Hayden. I was standing right there when he pointed to Jesus. You guys are good parents and example.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Katie for updating your blog. It is hard thinking of that sweet boy not being with us anymore. But his great spirit will remain. I feel him each time I look at his picture and the wonderful smile.
Love you guys. Grandma

Suzanne said...

So sorry to hear the tragedy about Casey's brother! What a terrible loss. I'm so sorry for you all.